Saturday, October 27, 2012

Who needs internet?


I know that its been a long time since my last post.  Sorry!  My weekends in Chicago were GREAT and I didn't feel like posting then.  Since I got back from DC and Chicago, its been a blur.  I hate cleaning, and there is a lot of that to be done.  Not to mention, I still seem to have so many things to do to get this place in order!  I keep trying to remind myself that our condo developed a little at a time, and that I need to lay off the big changes and just take care of the little stuff so that it is liveable.  :)

Anyway, I think maybe it is time to get internet, no?  Long story, but basically Nick and I arranged to have internet set up the week that I moved.  We chose self-install because I hate the guys from AT&T, Comcast, etc. who come over and hassle me about my internal set up when I know that Nick did it right.  There was NO MENTION anywhere that anything required an installer.  So, they send me the modem, which was a hassle in and of itself because I had to go to boofoo to pick it up.  Then, while I am grocery shopping on the Friday that they are supposed to turn on my service, I get a call from an installer at my house.  He needs to access the switches, which are inside.  Am I home?  NO!!!  No one said that I should be home.  Not to mention, apparently the switches are in a section of the basement that I don't have access too, so my landlord needs to be there.  Great.

So, no internet.  That was a month ago.  Oops.  I should really get on that, no?  I have just been in and out of town, and I forget at work.

I called AT&T to reschedule so that someone can come out and my landlord can be there.  I had to, since I promised Nick that I would have internet when he came to visit at Thanksgiving.  And, quite unsurprisingly, AT&T is full of a bunch of asses.  They want me, and my landlord, to be available from 8 am to 8 pm so that they can maybe send a tech out.  On a weekday.  How the heck do I make that phone call?  Hi, Greg?  Can you come hang out at my place for TWELVE HOURS so that you can let AT&T in to the secret part of our creepy basement when they get here?  Not to mention that unless I cancel my trip to Chicago for the swearing in ceremony, I don't have a day that I can take off so that I can be here.  In theory I can wait until my next Friday off (Nov. 16th) and wait for them.  But Nick is scheduled to arrive then, and if there are any issues with the installation then he won't be able to work like he is supposed to.  And, it doesn't fix the whole landlord issue.  Ugh.

So, I scheduled it for Nov. 5th.  I flat out told the woman that I would not be here before 6 pm.  If I am not here when he arrives, then the install is cancelled and I have to try to reschedule it again.  Fantastic.  I guess I ask Greg to also be here, and hope that the tech comes between 6 and 8.  I am so excited to make that phone call to my landlord.  Not.

I hate the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment