Wednesday, September 19, 2012

My Internet Friends

This probably comes as no surprise to most of you, but I have Internet Friends. I'd say that I have more of them than I do "IRL"  friends, except that they are friends in person as well.

It all started when we were planning our weddings on the knot, which is a wedding website where brides can kill their employer's bandwidth looking at photos of 10,000 different bouquets. It is also the site responsible for my keeping my non-married friends from killing me before the wedding. Anyway, after our weddings, we all stuck around. Eventually we started a Google Group, and then our own private chat board. Glossing over some drama, most of us are still friends more than five years later.

I can't imagine my life without these wonderful, beautiful, talented, smart, diverse, and loving women. We don't always get along, because that would be impossible. But I have watched these women support each other through job changes, marriages ending, children, infertility, family issues, medical problems, new loves, and Kim from Dove. I should be embarrassed to admit the amount of class and office time I have spent online with them. But I am not.

Now that I am in KCMO, I can truthfully say that I don't know where I would be without the women on the Board and those that I met through the Board. I miss my husband and my cats terribly. But I can reach out to through the wonders of the Internet and keep in touch with these women as though I was still down the street. Continuing to be involved in their lives keeps the loneliness at bay. It's hard to miss them, because they are still there.

Thank you ladies.  Thank you for my sanity. Thank you for your thoughtfulness. Thank you for the laughs and the tears.

I will never be ashamed to admit to having Internet friends again.

No comments:

Post a Comment