Tuesday, September 11, 2012

And it begins. Ish.

So, blogging.  This is one of those things that I always say I'm going to do, and I don't.  You know, like those diaries from my youth where only two pages are filled out because I lost interest or lost the diary.

But, on Friday I pack the truck and Saturday we move (Happy five year anniversary honey!  I got you an 8+ hour drive!).  I assume I'll have tons of time in KCMO, and hopefully some fun too.  So maybe I'll stick with it this time.  Just a warning, my adventures are going to be a bit tame.  In the beginning, don't expect much more than decorating.  I'll also try to keep you all updated on work and life, and hey adventures happen to a Chicago girl, right?


Supposedly, the lease is all figured out.  I mean, I mailed it back and he cashed the check - we're good, right?  Actually, I've been the official leaseholder since September 1, despite the fact that I won't move in until September 15.  We only saw the apartment once, when it was full (and I mean full, she ran her business out of it) of the other tenant's belongings.  In August, we flew in for our whirlwind tour of apartments.  It was tough - a lot of apartments were moving and fast.  But we did eventually find one that worked for us, in the right neighborhood, a decent amount of charm, and for the right price.  Cost of living is MUCH lower in KCMO, but since Nick is staying in Chicago we're running two households, which gets pricey quick.  We lucked out on the apartment actually.  I had contacted the landlord about another unit on Monday hoping to schedule a viewing for the weekend.  Greg asked me to call back on Friday because it was likely it would be rented by then.  Unfortunately, it was rented by the time we got into town, but his other tenant had just given her notice that week, so another unit was available.  Are you following this?  We saw it on the last day we were in town, and filled out the application right there.  I don't have any pictures of the actual unit because it's a faux pas to take pictures of an occupied unit, but I do have some of the other apartment.


Everything is mostly the same.  The layout is the reverse (this is a south unit, and I'm a north unit) and the kitchen has slightly different materials, although the age is the same.  The apartment has a private front balcony that is HUGE, and a secured back porch.





So there we have it.  The new Casita Graf.  I'll try to snap some pictures on Saturday before it is full of my shit stuff.  In the meantime, I've got more boxes to fill.  And some people to see.  And a chair to buy.  And if you ever can imagine a full apartment's worth of furniture and boxes INSIDE an apartment full of furniture, you'll pity my husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment