Monday, September 24, 2012

So, the new job.

Since that is the reason that I moved to KCMO, maybe I should talk about it?

So far, everything seems to be great.  The first week was definitely weird.  The previous Attorney Advisor was there to "smooth" the way.  While it was great to have someone to show me the ropes (at one point I didn't think that I'd have ANYONE there), it was weird because he was so clearly on his way out.

Other weirdness includes the office dynamic, which for the most part is fine, but it's a small office, and not everyone gets along.  Everyone is cordial, polite, and works fine together.  But between you, me, and the wall - there are some people in the office that aren't as respected based on a perspective of their work product.  It seems to be understandable, and this isn't a gossipy place.  But at the same time, it creates some pressure to make sure that you are competent...don't want to be on the same list!

The job is what I expected, but more so.  I don't know that that makes sense.  I spend my day primarily reviewing records of cases, listening to the hearings, doing some minor research, and writing.  And there are a lot of cases.  Kansas City has two judges, and has a case load of 3,700.  That means that at any given time there are about that many cases OPEN.  Nuts, huh?  Not every case gets a written decision.  Some of the decisions are oral - which sounds difficult for the judges. Other times, if the judge decides for the Respondent and DHS hasn't reserved appeal, the judge can just "grant" the application.  In addition, the judges will do some of their own decisions.  But it's a lot!

The outgoing Attorney Advisor was pretty worried for me last week.  Not that I wasn't smart enough, or that I couldn't do the job, but just that I would get swamped in the first few weeks.  It is certainly taking me longer to handle a decision, so I can understand that.  But he kept wanted to pull things to himself to try to make it easier.  Heck, he worked the weekend!  I told him to just let it be, that I had to learn the ropes sometime, and that the judges would forgive slowness and mistakes more in the beginning, but he couldn't let go.  Funny enough, all of his worrying had the opposite effect from what he intended.  The more he told me how bad it was, the less I was worried.  You know me, if someone points out a line, I have to cross it on principle.  Oh well.

Today went well as my first day "on."  I'll be on a compressed work schedule, so I work 9 hours a day and have every other Friday off.  Since I seem to stay late most days, the extra hours aren't causing an issue yet.  And it is great to have extra days, especially with all the flying to Chicago!

I'll get more feedback as time goes on, but I have my fingers crossed.  I know that I am going to miss clients, just as I missed being in court for the last year.  But I already realize that there is no way that I won't come out of this clerkship raring to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment