Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Glories of CL

My house looks like a storage unit.  For Realz.  My husband is probably thinking about moving out himself, as he hates clutter.  I'm excited to get everything back to normal, even though I know that I won't be around for it.  :(

But what is in the condo?  Well, there are boxes.  Lots of boxes.  And some donated furniture and kitchen stuff (which is mostly in boxes).  My old bed frame from my single gal days.  Furniture I had in storage and forgot I had.  Now, there is a mattress in the hallway too.  And then there are my craigslist finds.  I love CL.  I also hate it sometimes, but I mostly love it.  CL is glorious stash of junk, with just a few jewels mixed in.  And, it's the only way we can afford to furnish a whole new apartment.  Well, that and my in-laws.  Even our condo here has a large quantity of second hand finds, and most are CL.  Like my table, and my dining chairs, and my couch, and the buffet, and the storage console in Nick's office, and most of our dressers...don't forget the coffee table, and the half finished arm chairs.  Wait, maybe I'd better leave it there.

But, on to the new stuff.  I decided to buy in Chicago because honestly the KCMO CL does not seem as friendly (where do people buy used furniture in KC?) and I won't have a car.  Transportation is a vital part of the CL hunt.  So, the plan is to pack up the old and the new, and haul it all down with us.

Like my new couch?  Sure, it isn't in perfect condition, but it was a steal for a pullout.  Literally, I think I grabbed it and ran down the hallway.  Or maybe I just trotted alongside the buys while they lugged it.  And it's nice and soft.  She's a looker.

This couch is actually staying in Chicago.  I'm taking our old one with me.

Or my dining set?  This is likely to get painted at some point.  I mean, it was only $75 for the set (table plus two leaves, 2 arm chairs, 4 dining chairs, and the pads) so I can totally handle that.  It isn't exactly what I want, but the price was right and I can make it work.  What do you think about a white table with turquoise chairs?

Table with no leaves...I'll probably leave at least one in.
There's also my console / occasional table.  This is the one where the seller wouldn't believe that it would fit in the Fit.  Ha!  I fit it in, plus an Ikea run, plus three people in the car.  Never doubt the clown car.  Of course, the console is a great example of the deals to be had and the frustrations.  $200 table from Ikea for $50.  WHY GOD did the previous owners give it the worst paint job ever?  It's actually a wood piece (and oddly matches our kitchen table in Chicago - same line).  It was pretty on its own.  And I love painted furniture.  In fact, this may eventually be painted.  But why this?



It doesn't look nearly as bad in person, but I'll have it stripped within a week.  Then it will be great!  Then I'll figure out a bold color to paint or stain it (well) and it will be even better.

Last night I picked up a chair, since I realized that the chair in my floorplanner didn't exist anywhere but in my head.  It's a little beat up.  Someone's cat loved it even more than my two do (seriously, they only way they have left this chair since I bought it was a forced migration).  It needs some repair of the big scratches/tears and a recondition to hide the smaller stuff.  For $15, you can't really be picky.  A faux leather chair is minimum $100 plus tax, and leather is even more.


Well, maybe that isn't a ton.  But it feels like it!  Especially when you're packing up other CL finds, like my sewing table.

I know that some folk don't love the CL.  It takes a lot of time and energy (search through ads, send emails, go to see furniture), and sometimes the item just doesn't work out (like the sectional couch Nick wouldn't let me bring home just because it was freakishly large for our space).  But the SAVINGS.

Now, don't get me started on my new boyfriend Ikea.  He's an expensive date, but fun to mix in!  And contrary to popular belief, his stuff can be reused at a later date (I don't care what the guy in the yellow shirt says, if you take it apart carefully, it can be stored to be used again at a later date.  So there.)

I realize that the home decor stuff is a little heavy these days.  Candidly, trying to figure out a great apartment design has been one of the brightest spots of the move.  As a result, I've focused a lot it.  Okay, and maybe I read too many decor blogs so that is what I think to post about!  Can it be both, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment